KLA Council Meeting (via Elluminate) – Jan. 20, 2011 – Highlights
(1) 2nd Quarter Financial Report – Cynthia Berner-Harris, Treasurer
- YTD Balance = $34,848.29 (includes $4,000 in donations from the KLA Educational Foundation for conference and $18,000 from the regional systems for advocacy)
- Total Assests = $88,888.65 = $34,848.29 (KLA) + $40,780.56 (Sections & Roundtables) + $13,257.29 (Paypal (reserve account))
- Assets Report for PLS shows a YTD balance of $4,366.43
- Finance Study Group is working on reformatting the reports to make them easier to understand. Also working on a proposed budget & would appreciate any feedback.
- Trying to move the organization to a position so it is not as reliant on conference. Live from the base budget and let conference take care of itself.
(1) President’s Report – Emily Sitz
- Membership cards sent out today. Working on correcting roster in Avectra.
- Online membership meeting on Feb. 1 (approximately 1 hour long)
- Updates from study teams
- Introduction of new legislative liaison & a report from her
- Budget report from KLA Educational Foundation
- Send any additional agenda items/suggestions to Emily
- Study teams met and shared information & thoughts.
- KLA will hold mock interviews at conference for students. 1st step in engaging students.
- Need to update organization manual.
(1) Moving annual conference to a Fall calendar
- Better for KLA finances with more time to make corrections with conference in front of the fiscal year.
- Opens up possibility of joint conference with KASL and KAECT
- Always receive a boost to budget with influx of memberships just before conference
- Timing better for vendors, since KLA would no longer be competing with much larger spring conferences such as Texas Library Association & Public Library Association
I voted ‘Yes.’ Motion passed. KLA will move to a fall conference in 2013, because we are already under contract for 2012 in Wichita. My apologies for not reaching out to the PLS membership sooner on this issue. I anticipated that we would have the opportunity to poll PLS membership with the survey we have planned for next month before a decision would be made.
- Maybe have an interim or virtual conference between April 2012 and fall 2013? Issue to be considered at a later date.
(1) Election procedure – will use Avectra to distribute ballots; members will download ballot, vote and send back via email attachment. Nominating committee will certify results.
(1) Nominating committee slate for 2011 election:
- Matt Upson, Director Library Services, McPherson College
- Melany Wilks, Director, Pioneer Memorial Library, Colby
- Cathy Reeves, Director, Dodge City Public Library
- MPLA Representative
- Dan Ireton, Hale Library, KSU
- Mickey Coalwell, NEKLS
- ALA Representative
- Rob Banks, Topeka Shawnee County Public Library
- Candi Hemel, Director, Cimarron City Library
(2) Best Small Library Program, Service or Activity – new annual award; information to be shared at conference for the first award to be bestowed at 2012 conference
(3) KPLACE Roundtable given notice for possible disbanding. Bylaws note that if a section or roundtable fall below a minimum membership it may be disbanded. KLA plans to give notice to sections and roundtables in jeopardy to give them the opportunity to recruit additional members.
(4) Conference report – Royce Kitts
- putting pieces together to be ready; web site up in a few days; speakers finalized; mock interviews for students being set up
- virtual conference – 5 virtual sessions approximately for the same price as a 1-day registration
- library displays
- library signage
- big picture discussion of electronic resources
- presentation by keynote speaker Jamie LaRue
- easy advocacy for everyone
- KLA Educational Foundation activities – Marie Pyko
- Trivia Night (on Thurs. eve.) – fundraiser to be held after exhibit event
(5) Governmental Affairs – Roger Carswell
- State budget – 5% reduction; state aid – 6.5% reduction
- Kan-ed bill to be introduced
- Jo Budler reappointed as State Librarian