On a rainy October 17, we met Watermark Books in Wichita to review the 2007 Fall Retreat and plan for the 2008 Kansas Library Conference and 2009 Fall Retreat.
Present: Denise Smith, Ruth Rodden, Marie Pyko, Kim Beets, Rosanne Siemens, Cathy Newland and Sharon Moreland
After discussing the evaluation forms (quotes and highlights below), we decided to have a 2-day, one-topic retreat at the Spiritual Life Center in October 2009. The date has not been confirmed, but hope to have the retreat on Thursday, October 8 and Friday, October 9.
In response to the suggestions from the Retreat Evaluations, PLS will sponsor a presenter at the 2008 KLA Conference to cover topics associated with personnel management, such as learning styles, personality profiles, personnel law and dealing with difficult people.
PLS will also sponsor a Breakfast Business Meeting on Friday, April 11 at the 2008 KLA Conference.
Officers serve from July 1 to June 30. Nominations to be sent on an e-mail ballot are:
- Chair – Sharon Moreland
- Vice-Chair – Ruth Rodden
- Secretary – Ken Werne
And now for the good stuff – the Retreat Evaluation Quotables:
- Mary is an enthusiastic presenter that makes you look at things in a new way.
- Invite Mary Bushing for 3 days!! Nothing could have been better – just more time for all discussions, including those breakout table conversations.
- Nice not to have TV/radio.
- Excellent, affirming information for work and real life.
- I am anxious to get back and start and “finish” several projects. Was extremely useful and informative – lots of ideas to use!
Suggestions for Change:
- A place to check E-mail
- More specific/focused subject
- Hourly stretch breaks
Suggestions for future PLS Topics:
- Grant opportunities, Budgets and alternative funding
- Bond issues and how to pass them
- Team building in Library Boards
- Reader’s Advisory
- Time Management
- Broadband issues
- Staffing, human resource management, organizational changes and patterns, staff development,
- Collection development
- Publicity for libraries
- Customer service
- Developing libraries as community centers
- Open source ILS
- “Defending Access with Confidence”
Respectfully submitted by: Sharon Moreland